Your engaged, yay!!!!
Your engagement session is one of the MOST exciting parts of the wedding process, I promise! It might seem a little stressful, scary, or even dreadful – I know, getting in front of the camera can be WEIRD! But getting photos with your partner is so so worth it. Not only is it amazing to have professional photos with your lover (beyond the wedding!) but it’s a perfect time to practice your poses in front of the lens before the big day.
I get so many questions on the dos and don’ts of engagement sessions and I thought I’d share some of my favorite tips, whether or not you’re planning your session with me!
What to wear to your engagement session:
Now, this doesn’t mean sweats and your old pair of tennis shoes – but it does mean wear something you feel good in and can move in! We dance, run, jump, and play during our session and it’s important to be able to comfortably move in what you’re wearing – all while looking amazing! I suggest wearing something fitted without being restrictive. Something with flow, without being mumu. Also… feel GOOD in your outfit! Don’t wear something you’ll feel like you need to keep adjusting or cover up. You deserve to feel as amazing as you are in these photos.
THINK OF THE SEASON
Here is Atlanta it can get STICKY in the summers and wearing something that will keep the air flowing and feeling cool is of utmost importance! In the winter if can get a little cold so think of layers that will compliment each other and keep you warm. Flowing dresses and short sleeve button ups are the best way to stay classic and cool in the warm days.
Additionally, think of the colors you’ll be around in your photos! If it’s the dead of winter, your surroundings will be more neutral, so wear colors that compliment the colors around you! The fall is the perfect time for the jeweled tones or soft blues. Take a look at a palette creator and choose colors that best compliment each other and your surroundings.
DON’T BE AFRAID TO WEAR WHITE
It’s such a classic look and paired with a blazer or other soft colors and it’s the perfect neutral. White will keep you cool, classic, and perfect for any season! If white feels a little too harsh for you, other neutrals are a perfect choice (for at least one of our outfits!) It’ll help keep the focus on YOU and your love and not your outfits or a jarring color (keep those neon tees in your closet!)
COMPLIMENT EACH OTHER
Most important, tell your babe that you think their HOT! But also… don’t wear clashing patterns – keep colors within the same palette, and make sure you’re dressed for the same season! It’ll make a huge difference in photos to be on the same page and you will thank me later! If you’re both going for a casual look, choose looks that go well together but don’t look like a 90’s family beach session (no matching white shirts and oversized jeans!). Check out this ENTIRE BLOG!! for amazing coordinating outfits, from flowing dresses, vibrant colors, and classic styles.
DON’T BE AFRAID TO GO BIG
Wear that gown you’ve been eyeballing, wear something fun, bring your dogs, wear a hat!! Just be as cool as you are or want to be – this session is meant to be fun and to show YOU as a couple and, most importantly, the love you have for each other.
A FEW LAST DO’S AND DON’TS FOR THE DAYS LEADING UP TO YOUR SESSION
• Clean your engagement ring! We’ll be focusing on your ring during your session and this is such a great time to show grandma who gorgeous that ring on your finger is!!
• Treat yourself to a mani/pedi. This is the perfect excuse to pamper yourself a little, you BOTH deserve it! Plus, your hands will look gorgeous for all those close ups!
• Explore patterns, but make sure you keep them BIG and non-clashing. Tiny/intense patterns can photograph really busy and you might not love how they look on camera. If you’re second guessing or need an option, share it with me, I can tell you how it’ll photograph!
• Your very best accessory is your pup (or cat…) Bring your animal along! But if you’re looking to do that I HIHGLY recommend bringing a friend to handle your animal when we’re not shooting with them!
• BRING A SECOND OUTFIT! I always suggest starting with something more casual (let your personality shine here!) and changing into an outfit that leans a little more “formal” or business-casual. For the men, a simple shirt change or putting on a blazer can do the trick. It’s a really great idea to have some options when it comes to displaying your photos at your wedding or choosing a Save The Date.
A FEW OF MY FAVORITE PLACES TO SHOP:
- Rent The Runway
- Free People
- Your own closest – don’t stress about buying a new outfit if you have the perfect one already hanging in your closet!
MORE IMPORTANTLY, HAVE FUN!!
If you have any questions or want to take my shopping in your pocket – text me! I am always happy to give my opinion on what will photograph best and tell you how smokin’ hot you look in your outfit!!